Welcome!

Perhaps no other place in America tells a more poignant, conflicted story of our shared and complex history than a small plot of land along the banks of Goose Creek. This historic site began as a path traveled frequently by wildlife crossing the creek at one of its shallowest points. Predators followed prey along the path, and eventually Native Americans joined the hunt. With the arrival of permanent European settlers in 1670, the footpath developed into a principal trade route as new white settlers traded with the natives, going deep into the interior of the Carolina colony with pack animals loaded with trinkets and manufactured items and returning with rich caches of furs and deer pelts bound for the port of Charles Town and highly valued in the European markets. 

Because of its location about 22 miles from Charles Town, or roughly one day's journey for a trader leading a pack train, the site developed into a popular camping spot where traders could catch a good night's sleep before beginning the last leg of their journey in the morning.

St. James Goose Creek Chapel of Ease Historical Site is believed to be the site of a significant battle during the Yemassee War in 1715, it was later a Chapel of Ease for early colonists in the
archaeological dig
Charleston, SC area. That building burned down during the Revolutionary War and Bethlehem Baptist Church was built near it on the grounds and was moved to its final destination around the 1880s. The graves that are still there, as well as the archaeological ruins from the Battle and churches that stood there are in desperate need of conservation and preservation.

We are a non-profit organization charged with preserving, restoring, and sharing the story of this historical site that is important in the story of America. 100% of all public donations directly fund restoration, preservation, and educational efforts.  Learn more or donate.